COCO Brown is a cultural community center; a multifunctional, intergenerational, place-making, creative arts and educational social space. A safe and inclusive place that holds space for history, the arts, and culture. COCO Brown uses the mediums of art, music, storytelling, and movement to strengthen community relationships and improve social and economic equity. COCO Brown is a space to facilitate Ubuntu... it's for family, for tribe, for community.
It is an IN-powering sanctuary where one can come to Nourish, Nurture, and Network. COCO Brown is a space to foster healing, conscientization; realization; revelation; revitalization and transformation. The space that holds COCO Brown is the new headquarters of POSE Inc., and currently functions as a bookstore, art store, retail store, event/meeting space, art gallery, classroom, co-working space, incubator space, creating space, and cultural arts studio. The classes, workshops, and programming provided out of this space cover all ages and intersectionality; always with an eye towards anti-racism, and social /economic equity and justice by consistently engaging our full authentic selves (mind, body, spirit).
Services range from children's story telling, drumming, and family craft night to spoken-word workshops, poetry slams, improv, dances, open-mics, lecture series, and an array of literature, history and social justice educational programming for students of all ages. Educational, equitable and social emotional consulting services are available through the COCO Brown networking firm, as are stellar public and motivational speakers of color. Eventually we endeavor add a full service sit-down neighborhood Café.
COCO Brown is honored to have a diverse and growing list of community partners, collaborators, sponsors and supporters in our network. If you are interested in partnership, sponsorship, collective impact or cross-sector work, we are actively seeking your involvement and support. We need you to do this work.
0 to 100 real quick, 02/07/2020
A look into the lives of four men who have lived through and survived childhood poverty, local gangs, local violence, local mass incarceration via the school to prison pipeline.
WHAT WE DO
In our work we seek to move the needle in the following areas:
Cultural identity, eliminating racism, economic mobility, educational equity, early exposure to writing, reading, music, arts, science and math; whole-person healing (mind-body-soul), positive health outcomes, healthy food options, entrepreneurship, place-making, social equity, intergenerational wealth.
- 0 to 100 Real QuickFri, Feb 07COCO Brown
- Books, Boundaries, Barriers & BondsTue, Jan 28COCO BrownJan 28, 2020, 7:00 PM – 11:00 PMCOCO Brown, 293 Washington Street, Haverhill, MA, USAJoin us for our women's monthly intellectual meet-up, not for the faint of heart. Happy to be relaunching for January 2020. We will explore poetry by women of color and come prepared to share one piece each (personal or published) by any female poet of color.
- Gala Night: Fashion Show FundraiserSat, May 04Rehoboth LighthouseMay 04, 2019, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PMRehoboth Lighthouse , 409 Washington St, Haverhill, MA 01832, USAGala Night: A Charitable Fashion Show Fundraiser to benefit Power of Self-Education (POSE) Inc.’s cultural community center COCO Brown and X-Press Yourself Boutique. All proceed raised by this event will be split 50/50 between these two worthy initiatives.
- Women's Monthly Bookclub Meet-Up April 2019Thu, Apr 25COCO Brown
- 3rd Annual Black History Month CelebrationSat, Feb 23ButtonwoodsFeb 23, 2019, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PMButtonwoods, 240 Water St, Haverhill, MA 01830, USAThis celebration looks to the past and present accomplishments of African-Americans, while bringing all people together to rejoice in celebration. This interracial/multiracial event denotes the humanity, love, sacrifice, commitment, and spirit of the human heart.
- Welcoming Room: Open Mic Nights - Black History Month Series- Masada JonesFri, Feb 22COCO Brown
- Welcoming Room: Open Mic Nights - Black History Month Series- Naomi VanderhorstFri, Feb 15COCO Brown
- Black History Month 2019 Lecture Series - Celeste CruzWed, Feb 13COCO Brown
- Welcoming Room: Open Mic Nights - Black History Month Series- Sulay Daphne SanchezFri, Feb 08COCO Brown
- Welcoming Room: Open Mic Nights - Black History Month Series- Christa BrownFri, Feb 01COCO Brown
COCO Brown is an incubating space. We work hard to create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere ideal for healing, learning, dreaming, growing, connecting, casting vision, planning, building, launching, piloting, testing, prototyping, and scaling. Whether its space rental or community you are seeking, at COCO Brown there is a space here for you.